Tuesday, May 17th at 7:00 p.m.
Join Zoom Meeting:
CARE (C.A.R.E. is a citizen coalition sponsored by the Office of Mayor Laura R. Hoydick in cooperation with the Stratford Partnership for Youth & Families, Stratford Clergy Association, The Council of Churches of Greater Bridgeport, Inc. and The Stratford Library Association.
On Tuesday, May 17th, the CARE Education Committee will have a meeting open to the public via ZOOM.
CARE Education Meeting Team Goals:
1. To continue to collaborate with the superintendent, principals, teachers and parents to improve the quality of the Stratford School System
2. To encourage CARE members to actively participate in SBOE (Stratford Board of Education) committees, meetings, diversity teacher training, Read Alouds, education strategy sessions.
3. To improve the academic achievement of all students, particularly
with an emphasis on closing the achievement gap between students of color and non color, over the next five years.
4. To continue to urge the SBOE to recruit more teachers, administrators and school personnel of color.
5. To ensure that the curriculum accurately reflects and meets the needs of the demographics of the town’s student population.
6. To ensure that every student develops a healthy social and emotional well-being, particularly in this pandemic and post-pandemic era.
7. To pursue a close working relationship with the newly created Supervisor of DEI position which was recently filled
8. To encourage all CARE Education Action Team members to increase their awareness and knowledge of other Best Practices which are successful in improving the achievement of students of color (ie. What initiatives are successful in towns with similar social-economic characteristics as our town?)
The meeting will have Parent Sessions with SERC (SERC is a quasi-public agency established to serve the CT State Board of Education in supporting educational equity and excellence through providing professional development and information dissemination; the latest research and best practices to educators, service providers, and families throughout the state; as well as job-embedded technical assistance and training within schools, programs, and districts.)
There will also be a discussion on the Board of Education Budget and an update on Board of Education Committees
Here are a couple of links to the CT Department of Education. There is a wealth of information here – district report card, grant reports (how much are we receiving? How much is going towards what purpose?), student enrollment (is the number of students increasing/decreasing? Is there more or less need based/more or less free/reduced lunch, etc.), to familiarize yourself with.
Meeting ID: 815 2173 3461 Passcode: 5854141 929 205 6099 US (New York)