When: Wednesday, September 20th from 4:00 – 7:00 P.M.
Where: Baldwin Center
What to Expect: Community Open House event for public to attend, engage, and learn about the Zoning Regulations Update.
The Open House represents an opportunity for residents to Voice Their Opinion on Town of Stratford Zoning Regulations Update
By: Town of Stratford Office of Planning and Zoning + Zoning Commission
Technical support provided by SLR Consulting
Welcome to the Town of Stratford Zoning Regulations Update. You can find the entire StoryMap document by going to:
On this site, you will find relevant project information, including the Town’s current zoning regulations, scheduled project-related meetings, project timelines and status updates, and progress drafts for the proposed zoning code.
Why is this Project important? Zoning codes are living documents that require periodic updates to continue meeting the current and evolving needs of the community.
The Town is seeking to ensure consistency with the Town’s recently revised/adopted policy documents and develop progressive zoning tools that will guide physical and economic development, while protecting environmentally-sensitive land, land development priorities, and open space.
What is this Project about? Developing a streamlined and easy-to-use zoning ordinance requires focused collaboration between the various users of the zoning code.
To that end, the Town of Stratford Office of Planning and Zoning is collaborating with the Zoning Commission and Town Departments and Staff to simplify the Town’s zoning regulations, incorporate contemporary planning and zoning practices, and align the zoning code with recommendations in Plan Stratford, the Town’s Complete Streets Policy, as well as Housing, Coastal Resilience, and Waterfront Plans.
Primary Project Goals are:
- Simplify the Zoning Regulations
- Align the Zoning Regulations with recommendations in the Town’s recently updated Plan of Conservation and Development (POCD), including:
- Modernize uses to today’s standards
- Review and update development standards in each district
- Integrate coastal/environmental, economic, and social resilience initiatives to be consistent with the Town’s Waterfront Vision Plan
- Foster housing diversity and affordability while preserving the Town’s small-town feel and unique neighborhoods
- Encourage multimodal transportation and connectivity
- Ensure consistency throughout the Zoning Regulations and with other Town Codes (subdivision, wetlands, and waterfront and State regulations [e.g., Connecticut building code])
- Support Transit Oriented Development (TOD), Stratford’s Complete Streets Policy, Coastal Resiliency, and Sustainable CT Policies.
Current Zoning Ordinance
Below are interactive links to the Town of Stratford’s current Zoning Map and Ordinance.
Planning & Zoning Trends
State of the Art
In this space, we will provide periodic informational updates on the state of the art of land use and zoning trends. Following zoning trends is important for economic development, addressing environmental concerns, legal compliance, engaging with the community, mitigating risks, and understanding the social and cultural impact of development in a given area. Staying up to date on trends creates informed decision-making for the responsible and sustainable development of the community.
Click below for examples of recently approved TOD projects made possible by Stratford’s Transit Oriented Development Zoning Overlay District. https://arcg.is/558qi
Editor’s Note: To date the two examples given in this document have yet come to fruition.
Community Participation: Learn more about this Project!
Get involved! Upcoming Project meetings and community workshops
- Stratford Zoning Regulations Update – 1st Community Open House
- When: Wednesday, September 20th from 4:00 – 7:00 PM
- Where: Baldwin Center, 1000 West Broad Street, Stratford CT 06615
- What to Expect: Community Open House event for public to attend, engage, and learn about the Zoning Regulations Update.
Project Kickoff (Summer 2023)
June and July 2023 – The Office of Planning and Zoning, the Zoning Commission, and Town Staff met with the SLR Technical Team to initiate the project.
Review Existing Zoning Regulations (Summer 2023)
*WE ARE HERE* The SLR Project Team is actively reviewing the current zoning ordinance and preparing a baseline review report, which was reviewed by the Zoning Commission on Wednesday, September 13, 2023.
September 20, 2023 – Community Open House
Draft Updated Zoning Regulations (Fall 2023 – Winter 2024)
Stay tuned for updates
Final Updated Zoning Regulations & Adoption (Spring 2024)
Stay tuned for updates.
Below are other relevant planning initiatives within the Town of Stratford.
Prepared by SLR Consulting for the Town of Stratford Office of Planning and Zoning + Zoning Commission.