by State Representative Joe Gresko, (D)
121st Connecticut House District
As we welcome the new year, there are several laws that will go into effect on January 1, 2024. One noteworthy law is the Bottle Bill, which I took great pride in co-sponsoring and leading its successful passage.
Although extensive, below I share some highlights and a link to the complete list. Please feel free to share and contact my office if you would like more details on any of the new laws.
- EARLY VOTING (PA 23-5)
- Establishes a framework for early, in-person voting requiring a 14-day early voting period for general elections, a seven-day period for most primaries, and a four-day early voting period for special elections and presidential preference primaries.
- HOSPICE AND PALLIATIVE CARE (PA 23-174)
- Includes the creation of a Hospice Hospital at Home pilot program to provide in-home hospice care to patients through in-person visits and telehealth.
- PROTECTING MATERNAL HEALTH (PA 23-147)
- Establishes a new license category for freestanding birth centers, an Infant Mortality Relief Program to review medical records and other data on infant deaths, and a midwifery working group to study and make recommendations on advancing choices for community birth care.
- ONLINE PRIVACY, DATA AND SAFETY PROTECTIONS (PA 23-56)
- Makes various changes to laws on data privacy and related issues, including provisions on consumer health data, minors’ social media accounts and online services, online dating operators, and a task force on internet crimes against children.
- RESOURCES FOR PERSONS WITH AN INTELLECTUAL OR DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITY (PA 23-137)
- Among many supportive measures, this law creates a plan to establish a Transitional Life Skills College program to support certain people with IDD who are transitioning out of high school or to independent living.
- WORKERS’ COMPENSATION FOR POST-TRAUMATIC STRESS INJURIES (PA 23-35)
- Expands eligibility for workers’ compensation benefits for post-traumatic stress injuries to all employees covered by the workers’ compensation law.
- AN ACT CONCERNING SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT (PA 21-58)
- Under this law, we made some positive revisions to the Bottle Bill that was originally passed in 1978. Starting in 2024, we will increase the bottle deposits from 5 cents to 10 cents, ensuring a more impactful recycling practice.
For the complete list of new laws go to:
As always, if I can be of any assistance, please feel free to contact my office at (860) 240-8585 or email me directly. Joseph.Gresko@cga.ct.gov>