Short Beach Summer 5K, Saturday, August 7th
Benefits MADD-CT (Mothers Against Drunk Driving)
by MS Running Productions
MS Running Productions will be hosting the second edition of the Short Beach Summer 5K community event. Last year it was the first running event in town after restrictions were lifted. Over 160 people enjoyed a safe, modified run. This year we plan to double that number! Don’t get shut out.
This 5K run is designed and owned by MS Running Productions with charity partner MADD CT, which will use donations to help them with their programs. This event is NOT the MADD DASH.
*We will have protocols in place for safety, physical distancing, and will follow all best practices as set forth by our town and state. This event is limited to 350 people. We are counting on you to help in carrying out all safety procedures on your end so that we can have a very successful event, and do this again with the town’s approval!” MS Running Productions
All race participants and their supports must arrive by 7:55 a.m. on the morning of August 7th or you will not be allowed free access into Short Beach.
The town policy is “resident’s cars only” into the park. The Recreation Department has been a wonderful supporter and granted us access BEFORE the beach officially opens at 8 a.m. In order for us to have you ready and safe, you must be here by 7:55 a.m.
This Event will be Limited to 350 Entrants, in keeping with the state guidelines group gatherings will follow up-to-date safety protocols and procedures.
The race website will indicate when there are 10 or fewer spots left.
Online registration Only will close at 8:15 a.m. race morning or sooner when the 350 limit is reached.
All fees (including credit card and state tax fees) are included with your registration fee. One fee for all ages.
$30 until July 25th with guarantee of towels/glass/swag availability
$32.50 July 26 – Aug 5 (swag may not be available from this date, on)
$35 Aug 6 & 7 (race day, online only, ends at 8:15 a.m.)
There will be No in-person registration on race day.
Please do not arrive at bib/swag pickup if you’re not pre-registered.
You will be asked to leave if you can’t produce your online code.
Only participants will be allowed in the registration or race area – no spectators or family, please (unless state guidelines change).
Please register only if you are sure you plan to run.
Awards, Trophies, and Medals
May be available for distribution if state guidelines allow. As of June 15th there can be an awards gathering after you finish. This is subject to change. Thanks for understanding. Awards will be given out starting by 9:30am.
The awards category includes:
1st Place Male Runner and 1st Place Female Runner in age groups: 9 & under, 10-13, 14-18, 19-29, 30-39, and ten year age groups through 80+
If you have not been vaccinated, you must wear a mask at all times. (CT guidelines as of 6/14) This includes prior to crossing the starting line and soon after your finish. This includes while stretching, warming up, waiting for a bathroom, etc. (Subject to change with CT guidelines update). We encourage masks for anyone who may feel safer with one.
The goal of the event is to provide a truly fun running experience for the participants while adhering to all CDC social distancing and CT safety guidelines.
As of June 14th there will be a mass traditional start. Each participant’s start time will be “Chip” recorded as they cross the starting line. The start and finish line will be in the Short Beach lot near the registration pavilion.
If anything changes the event will switch to a time-trial type set up which will allow runners to start individually or in small groups of associated participants (family members or participants that cohabitate) from 8:30 a.m. – 8:45 am. The course remains open until 9:30 am.
After participants finish they will receive an email link to access their finishing time. A list of overall finishing times for all competitors will be continually updated while the race is in progress. By 10 a.m. the final race results should be posted.
All participants must adhere to the following requirements:
• Participants are required to be completely self-sufficient, as of 6/14 CT guidelines there will be no water stops. Carry your own fluids and please DO NOT DROP them on the course!
• Participants must follow all CDC safe distancing guidelines.
• When approaching the starting line participants must immediately begin their run.
• Participants are asked not to congregate or conduct any race preparation (warm-ups, stretching, adjusting or changing apparel, etc.) in the starting area.
• Except for passing, participants should always remain safe to the side of the road indicated by cones, signs, or volunteers. Most of the course is measured and set up to the left side, facing traffic, as directed by state law.
• Participants passing one another on the course must adhere to “no drafting” rules Keeping Distance between other runners at any time.
• Participants may pass only when there are not any oncoming runners approaching from the opposite direction. Before passing, participants must be sure they can safely remain six feet behind and then six feet in front of the participant being overtaken before merging back to the road/pathway.
• Please follow all instructions of the course marshals and only cross the street when instructed to do so by the police or course volunteers.
• When completing your run and crossing the finish line you must continue moving as directed.
Please keep in mind that your cooperation and adherence to all safe distancing practices is the key to us being able to offer competitive events like this in the future. Thank you!
This event is produced by MS Running Productions and Marty Schaivone, with great help from Jim Gerweck (timer) and Stratford Recreation, Health, EMS, Police, Fire, and Department of Public Works.
We all want to be together again and by taking small steps like this we can help our charities and prove that our sport can make a comeback. We look forward to seeing you soon and in the future.
If you have any questions about this race, please contact the race director at firstname.lastname@example.org